Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday 2012

Ash Wednesday Reflection
            “What are you giving up?” the phrase we so often hear around this time each year. When I was younger I never put any thought into it. I’ll give up candy because I’m supposed to. This God guy wants me to be good and apparently interrupting my sugar intake was good.
            But as I grew up I learned that there is a lot more to Lent. Giving things up for God can be good, but they aren’t ends in themselves. Our sacrifices are meant to bring us closer to God. Maybe to send up a prayer when we get tempted or to put him in our daily lives. Maybe to remember that God is more important than what we gave up.
            Another part of Lent I didn’t know when I was a kid was doing something for Lent. This can be an active process and can dedicate our actions to God. Whether it’s doing service, praying a bit more or even reaching out with love; it’s all a part of Lent when it’s done for God.
            So think about what you’re doing for Lent and how that will draw you closer to Him.
- Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment