Thursday, March 14, 2013

Wednesday of the Fouth Week of Lent

How many campaigns have been created around this idea?
It sounds easy. Or at least, it seems it should be easy…
But, why is it so difficult?

I am currently reading Richard Rohr’s Naked Now and have been inspired to share what I have experienced while reading his beautiful book.
He speaks of the importance of “yes!” and how to develop this response as a habit. In my own life, I found it difficult to make the switch, as I believe all Westerners do. We are very conditioned to be skeptical, to be suspicious, to ask questions, and to look for proof or reason.
To say “yes!” without knowing what we are saying “yes!” to is uncomfortable because we are so conditioned to “no!” Rohr explains:
             “For some unfortunate reason, complaining, rejection, or fearing something strengthens your sense of ego and makes you feel like you are important. You contract back into your small and false self, and from there, unfortunately, it becomes harder and harder to reemerge.“ (52)
Our ego is built by “no!” As a woman I have said “no!” to my body, I have declared my personality as a “no!” and my ability to be someone of worth was a “no!” Now that I have come to understand “yes!” I have not experienced new life, but new love. The love I have for myself; the love that Christ has for me.
This Lent I challenge you too to find this “yes!” God is always saying it to us, we simply choose to hear it as a soft whisper or a strong, ____.

No comments:

Post a Comment