Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Wednesday of the Third Week of Lent

Today I am called to reflect on a reoccurring theme that has arisen in my life since returning to campus. As a junior, I have made myself a home here in Scranton. I have found a group of people I share my time, energy, and love with. This group is constantly changing, evolving, and redefining itself. I continue to be beautifully surprised by the new bonds formed at the end of each semester. My sisters, who both attended Jesuit universities, always say to me, “You always say that person is your best friend, we only had a couple of best friends”

I was reflecting on my sister’s words and I realized I meant that exactly what I said. After recently returning from Search 69, I can honestly say this list of best friends continues to grow. I have had the gift to get to know numerous people on a personal level; they have shared with me, and I them, so I qualify them as best in my book.
 
My question to all of you reading these words is, what is your social sphere like here in Scranton? Are you satisfied? Do you feel that you truly have the love of your friends? What is your idea of friendship? Do you feel the need for change?

I ask these questions because I recently met with three students here at The U who expressed that they feel their friends do not really know them. They have surface value friendships which go no deeper than weekend parties and Saturday brunch conversations at DeNaples. Each student I met with was searching and longing for more. They want to build a family. I once her a cheesy Hallmark card that said, “Friends are the family you choose for yourself.” I agree 100%. Your friends become your support, your strength, your rock when you are away from home.

Each of the three students explained that they do see the relationships and groups on campus they want to be a part of. They see their ideal, but they do not know how to attain it.

I admit it is difficult to put yourself out there, try a new experience, and get involved on campus in a new way or, for some, the very first time. Why am I writing this? Not to simply tell you about what great friends I have. No, quite the opposite. I ask this Lent to look around at your friends, and more importantly, those who are not your friends. Determine if your friends are fulfilling your needs? If they are, give them praise and thanks. If they are not, I am not saying ditch them, but go in search of those who you want in your life. Make an addition. Do not be afraid.

Open yourself up to the beauty of new relationships
… that includes God too! 

S.B ‘14

No comments:

Post a Comment