Monday, February 18, 2013

Monday of the First Week of Lent


In today's reading, God presents us with what seems to be an impossible task: "Be holy, for I, the LORD, your God, am holy" (Leviticus 19:2). Taking a step back here, I'm guessing that many of you are thinking the same thing I am, "What?! Isn't God supreme Holiness? How can we be holy like Him?". I think first, we must recognize that there is a difference between piety and holiness. What most people think of as holiness is truly piety. Piety is related to being reverent, falling deep into prayer, or attending mass every day. While being pious is a truly God-like virtue and one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit, many of us find it difficult to be pious on a daily basis. Piety, however, simply falls under the realm of holiness. Holiness is much more. Holiness is living not of the standards of our world, but of the standards of God; it is service to God through our acts. Holiness sets us apart in the world as God's chosen people.
So what acts of service can we do for God? What standards of God should we live by? Our questions here are answered in today's Gospel! "For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me...Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me'" (Matthew 25:35-36; 40). Through our acts of service and love towards one another, we convey acts of service and love for God. Through our love and service of one another, we advance our holiness.
This Lenten season, focus on advancing your holiness through acts devoted to God and one another. Whether you say an extra prayer during the day, perform a random act of kindness for someone, or simply sit in silence with God for a few minutes, you advance your holiness towards a stronger relationship with God. Pax amicis in Christos (Peace friends in Christ).

-Eric C.  Class of 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment