Sunday, February 24, 2013

Second Sunday of Lent



I’ve been doing the Lent thing since I was a kid, being raised in a Catholic family and going to Catholic schools my entire life. I gave up chocolate, promised to clean my room, offered to help with the dishes, or stopped eating potato chips. When I matured in my faith, I began to see Lent more for what it was, a time to grow with God. So, each Lent I go into it with a goal. What do I want to change over the next forty days? Sometimes it is a desire for a smaller pant size, because God is more of a motivator than a New Year’s resolution for me. More frequently, it has been wanting to get rid of the unnecessary things in my life which take away from friends, family, faith, or even school (though I always loved the joke as a kid of giving up homework for Lent).
My point here today is that we’ve been in the season of Lent for about a week and a half now, long enough to start to settle into these promises we’ve made. So, take sometime today and check in with yourself and God and see if these promises have been fruitful. I know I’ve given up one thing only to replace it with something else, which, at the end of the day gets me nowhere in fighting a slight caffeine addiction or an unnecessary attachment to social media. In order for Lent to be fruitful, sometimes we have to do some extra work and clear out whatever crops up to prevent this growth.
Katie, Class of 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment