Friday, March 18, 2011

First Week of Lent: Friday


Hey guys,  It is my turn for a reflection on the season of lent. I know you guys are off to your various spring break trips, safe travels to you all, but I want to remember to keep this season in mind as well.

The main activities for those who observe lent are prayer, repentance, almsgiving, and self-denial. Prayer, repentance, and almsgiving are common for Catholics to do. Self-denial seems to be something that we can do but we only think of doing it but once a year. While we only do this but once a year people often complain about what they have given up for lent. These complaints defeat the purpose of self-denial and it makes us seem as though we are spoiled.

I challenge you to not complain about what you gave up for as many days as you can. Instead of wasting your energy complaining about what you gave meditate and reflect on who you are as a catholic or reflect on the fact of what if you didn’t have what you gave up in the first place. I also have one more challenge for you. I want you to use one of your talents for others and as a meditation for yourself. My favorite things to do are photography and singing. I will use my photography for others for this lent to make people happy. My singing will help me reflect because choir sings spiritual songs and on other occasions Jesus Christ Superstar music because it is the story of Christ’s suffering. Thinks of ways you can do this as well.

Have a good break.

Shawn K.  ‘14

No comments:

Post a Comment