Wednesday, March 16, 2011

First Week of Lent: Tuesday



In Lent, we all decide that we want to give up something.  I don’t know, I feel like that’s not quite enough. It’s almost as if it isn’t really making much of a difference in our lives, or more importantly, in the lives of others. The gospel reading for today is the story of the goats and the sheep. The sheep were people who did good things for others and the goats were the ones who didn’t. Obviously, everyone would much rather be a sheep, but how do we do that? I guess Lent, for me, is a time of sheep-liness. I give up something, but I keep it personal so that it is something between Me and God.
More importantly though, during Lent I make sure to go out of my way to help others. Every day in Lent I set a goal for myself to do at least 1 good action I would not have otherwise done and to make at least 3 people smile. Spreading happiness and goodness to others is what Lent is all about for me, and I find that it feels amazing to do stuff like this. We all just have to remember that Lent isn’t just about giving something up, but also about giving ourselves up to others.

-Peter A. ‘14

No comments:

Post a Comment