Thursday, March 10, 2011



Friday After Ash Wednesday

Hello, my name is Don F.  I am a freshman here at the University of Scranton, and I am writing today to offer a brief reflection on this the third day (1st Friday) in Lent.

Every year in Lent, you might be saying to yourself, alright no meat on Fridays, what am I going to give up, I’ll try to get attend mass more often. But maybe there is something else. Do you ever try to be observant? To notice the people, events, activities, and experiences which are occurring right in front of your face?  To literally touch and feel those in your presence, and perhaps get to know who they are. Use this Lenten opportunity to actually involve yourself, and embrace the season. Take your everyday experiences and ask yourself how have they affected me? Look at your own acts and choices, and see if they are really what you attend. On one hand, did I truly mean to help my friend today, or was it just convenient. Or on the other hand, did I intend to cheat on that exam, or am I better than that.

Lent is not just a journey, but also an experience, and it is not the same for any two individuals. Take these next 40 days, and find out, “Who am I?” Ask yourself who do I have the potential to become, and who do I want to become. For it was at this time in which Jesus readied Himself to reach his potential, which was rising from the dead to become our Savior and save us from sin. If we follow Jesus’ example, we can also prepare ourselves for our own potential, but to do so we have to embrace. Jesus embraced the lives of those around Him, and let his life become part of theirs.  Let us embrace our life, and the lives of those around us. Let us involve ourselves in our community and be filled with the joy of being with others. Let us use this season to not just prepare ourselves for Easter Sunday, but also to discover what vocation we as a human are called to in Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment