Thursday, April 14, 2011

Fifth Week of Lent: Thursday

Have you ever resisted change by saying something like “I am who I am…” or “it is what it is…”?  I know that I have faced this situation many times in life.  I think that lent in particular is a time to really push through this feeling and change our hearts in the way God is calling us to.

I bring up this point because I was recently reminded of the real nature of the saying “I am who I am”.  In the Gospel today Jesus says to the Jews, “before Abraham came to be, I AM”.  One of the other famous occasions when this phrase is used was when God appeared to Moses in the burning bush; God says “I AM who I AM”.  Now thinking about the way that I respond in times of change or conversion, I realize that what I am saying is I am the same as God.  Now that is definitely a problem!  So instead of responding with resistance we should respond more along the lines of St. Augustine, with “I am becoming the person that God has made me to be.”  As Lent comes nearer to the end, I challenge you to reflect on if you have been resisting the person that God wants you to be.  Perhaps next time you find yourself faced with a new change you can welcome it openly with a new attitude.
Alyssa T. 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment