Monday, April 11, 2011

Fifth week of Lent: Monday


There are millions and millions of words in the English language.  Throughout the centuries of mankind, endless combinations of words have been used to express all kinds of emotions.  Ranging from happy to sad, joyful to depressed, words have a strange way of cutting to the inner core of us.  Try to think of some of your favorite words.  Now try to narrow those words down to the most important word in the English language.
That’s a pretty daunting task when you think about it. 
Choose the most important word in the English language.
The word appreciation was taught to me at a young age.  My mom has constantly reminded me about appreciation, and I don’t think I will ever forget the important lesson she gave me about appreciating everything and everyone around.  Learning to appreciate will be one of the first lessons I will teach my future children. 
Take a minute to reflect on how many things you take for granted.  I’m sure family, friends, and health came up immediately.  I, myself, am guilty of taking those for granted, but I have also come to appreciate them more than I have in the past.
I did not realize how lucky I was to have an amazing family and an amazing group of friends, until we were separated for a long period of time. 
Appreciation comes in many different forms.  When you are at the shore this summer, take a moment to look out into the ocean.  I mean really look out into the ocean.  The next time you take a hike in the woods, stop for a minute and take in all nature has to offer.  Appreciate what God has created.
During this Lenten season I ask you to take a few minutes every day and look at all the amazing gifts that have been bestowed upon you.  Take the time to appreciate something simple, like the setting sun, or a friend or family member who has always been there for you.  When we start to realize all the wonderful things around us, life becomes more joyful and pleasant to live out.
Tom F.

No comments:

Post a Comment