Friday, March 9, 2012

Friday 2nd Week of Lent


When Ash Wednesday rolled around I was amazed by the number of statuses I saw informing the facebook world that they wouldn’t be back until Easter. Over and over again I hear challenges from faculty and staff here at the U to give up cell phones for Lent. I myself am trying to waste less time online and hooked up to my iPod in order to become more present to the world around me. All of this seems to indicate a desire for real communication and less noise in our day to day lives. By getting rid of these distractions, we are able to more fully connect with those around us.

Try doing this with God, getting rid of the noise in your relationship with Him. While we may not be on facebook during Mass or texting during formal prayer time, other distractions and noises pop up. So often I sit down to pray and spend the whole time talking to God, not letting Him get a single word in. The conversation becomes one-sided and I become just as wrapped up in myself as I do when I tune the world with TV or music. So, sometime this Lent, try just being with God, basking in His presence. It’s difficult and awkward sometimes, but it can open up the relationship and make it deeper, more fulfilling.
Katie, ‘13

-p.s.  Click here for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXw8lJtet1g&feature=related)
Brandon Heath’s “Beauty Divine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment