Sunday, March 25, 2012

Monday Fifth Week of Lent


Today’s Old Testament reading, which is from the book of Daniel, is one that has fascinated me ever since I was a little girl.  It is the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, three Israelite exiles in Babylon.  When King Nebuchadnezzar tells them that they must bow down to an idol, they flat out refuse because they know that they are to bow to no other gods than their God.  Even when threatened to be put into a fiery furnace, they stand their ground.  They have the utmost faith in God, saying that if they are thrown into the furnace He will save them, and even if He does not save them, they still will not bow to the king’s idol.
I wish I could have that kind of faith.  It seems like I have so much trouble trusting God with even the smallest aspects of my life.  However Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were willing to literally walk through fire for God, trusting that whatever happened to them would be His will.  I am trying to trust God more fully with various aspects of my life.  It seems like time and time again when my plans fall through and I say “Okay God, I don’t know what to do anymore”, that wonderful and surprising things end up happening.  I just need to get to the point of allowing God to take control earlier in the process!  I hope that as I continue along my Lenten journey I will be able to more fully place my life in God’s hands because He truly knows what is best for me and can see me through whatever fires may come my way.

-Lauren P. ‘14

No comments:

Post a Comment