Thursday, March 29, 2012

Thursday of Fifth Week of Lent

While trying to pick my topic for the reflection I looked back on my day. I realized that multiple times throughout my day the subject of ‘putting yourself first’ came up. At first we may think ‘that’s just selfish!’ but I don’t mean it that way.
            Today I was with a group of people all pursuing career paths in Counseling. We all saw it as a self-giving service we desire to provide to others (not that we were biased or anything). But also about how we cannot give our best selves to others unless we take care of ourselves. Without taking the time for ourselves, we felt like we have burnt out in the past and will burn out in the future. That would make us unable to serve others and put us in a negative mental state.
            This same topic came up in my Theology class. We discussed whether cutting ties with friends who cause one to sin or lead one on a path away from God was selfish. Some may feel that not being great friends with someone for these reasons are selfish but I do not think so. As St. Francis de Sales would put it: First of all, you still love and care for that person. Second, you are protecting what should be the greatest love in your life-God. If something leads us away from God, He suggests doing the right things for ourselves.
            Today God showed me that the idea of putting yourself first when it is appropriate and serves a greater good isn’t such a bad thing.

-Lauren G. Class of 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment